Wednesday, May 13, 2009


This photograph is of a 1962 EK Holden. My first car, purchased from lawn mowing money at the age of 16 years from Mrs Pellizzari for $450. She reduced her price from $500 because I'd paid her consistently within a short period of time. Her husband had stripped the paint job and tarred the chassis of the car to prevent rust and then had it re-painted and it looked good as new. Now, the car needed work, but every now and then my neighbourhood buddies such as Bryan (BB), and Steven (Scratchy) would tinker with the engine, changing spark plugs and leads and removing engine parts only to put them back soon after with a remarkable insignificance achieved. The inside of the car was immaculate, beautiful trim and retaining the odour of having just rolled off the show room floor. Every now and then, we'd start it up and take it for a spin. The engine needed some work here and there but it just kept going, refusing to quit. I'd get a 24hr registration pass to drive it through the slick wet streets of Cairns late at night. Then teenage foolishness set in and bad decisions made too quick had me sell this beautiful old car for a greedy sum so that I could throw money away on an overseas trip to the red heart of Arizona. The car got broken down into bits and pieces and apparently rests in someone's Far Northern backyard refusing to yield to time and to dust. Which brings me to my Apple Mac Book purchased just under two years ago, on borrowed money, for the sum of two thousand dollars. It quit two days ago. Its hard drive dead. A number of procedures have been conducted to attempt resurrection yet I find myself complacent about it having a second life. Instead, I ponder dreamily about my never surrendering EK and the fact that the people who made that particular object made it to last, instead of working out a sinister way of extracting as much money as they can from their customers... Nostalgic? Idealistic? Sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment