Friday, April 17, 2009

Karaoke - sing or be sung to

Okay....my gripe for today....Karaoke bars. Just because one enters a karaoke bar does that mean one has to sing? I put it to you that the answer is no. Is not a karaoke bar just a bar when it's all sung and done? And if one is not inclined to sing and there are plenty of other people singing, and one is happy enough to be sung to and celebrate the singing of others...WHY must one passively endure the gentle remonstrations from a designer stubble boy band lookalike barman saying: 'hey man, you know, we're all cool here, just sing man, sing...' you know what pal: go check your hair again and get out of my face. I would have thought that clientele, whether singing or not, would be appreciated, particularly in a den of iniquity like this ramshackle shanty you call a bar. Thus, I put it to you, learned colleagues, that if one enters a karaoke bar, while it may be custom to sing, there is no obligation by any member of the party, to engage in singing. And further I submit that indeed there is no provision to forcefully, through passively cloaked argument or otherwise, entreat a paying customer to engage in the act of singing. However, if one finds oneself painted into the veritable corner, may I suggest choosing a song slow of pace and maudlin of sentiment such as the work of Hank Williams...I believe you'll be left alone from then on to sit quietly imbibing and enjoying the singing of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment