Thursday, April 23, 2009

Martini's

So the cocktail hour is big in NY. Through a series of random tasting experiments I have been able to determine one or two things about the Martini. Hitherto not overly familiar with the Martini I have since learnt that it can be made using either gin or vodka, and commonly with just the slightest touch of Vermouth, literally a drop the size of one's fingernail. I have sampled both the gin and vodka variety and prefer the gin. I have also determined through a lengthy process of sampling and experimentation that I prefer a dirty martini. That is, a martini with the splash of olive brine included in the mix. So my order would be a gin martini, dry and dirty. It should come with olives, at least two or three, but in some establishments it pays to ask. However, having said all of that I must say the range of difference between that same aforementioned preferred type of martini, varies dramatically. Also should you feel compelled to make one of these at home, please note that gin is easily bruised, it should be gently rotated no more than twice in the cocktail shaker, as opposed to vodka which can be treated with a little less care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment